Welcome to The Part-time Green Prepper!

I read a variety of blogs of stay-at-home moms who home school their children, prepare every food item from scratch, prepare for emergencies, have removed all dangerous chemicals from their homes, recycle and compost nearly everything they use, live frugally and are nearly self-sustaining due to their large gardens and farm animals. I would love to do all of those things. However, that is just not possible with the place I am in life right now. My husband and I both work full time. I am trying to figure out how much I can reasonably do with the time I have available. This blog will describe some of my attempts at prepping, preparing home-made natural foods for my family, growing our own food and going green. I know many of you will do all of these things better than I do, but I am trying and that's the best I can do!

Friday, June 24, 2011

Summer is here!

At last! It's summer vacation! Actually my last day of work was last Th, but we were hosting a young woman from Chili in our home for a week. It was really a great experience, but exhausting and expensive due to the activities the sponsoring organization requested of us ie . . . expensive dinners out, lots of driving her back and forth to town (30 min each way) . . .

I've also been stressed out about getting an answer to questions regarding my teacher certification. No one has been able to give me a straight answer and now I've been waiting for 3 days for a response from a new person. The answer is important now even though the certficate is good for another year because we may need to come up with another few thousand dollars on top of the $1,200 we've already had to dish out.

On to the fun stuff:

I've been trying to do everything at once here and while it was fun, it's been exhausting! In the last 2 days I


  • weeded in the garden, which is not doing as well as last year

  • made homemade laundry detergent (and did the laundry)

  • made dishwasher detergent (and did the dishes)

  • made homemade bar soap

  • baked homemade rolls with the recipe my new Chilean friend brought me. (They were excellent by the way!)

  • made yogurt

  • baked bread

  • tested a recipe for all-natural deodorant

  • make some all natural bar lotion

  • baked muffins for dh to take to his work meeting

  • cleaned the living room carpet

  • visited my older son at camp

Today, I'm feeling a lack of gumption and a lot of stress in my back muscles. I have an appointment for a massage this afternoon. I know that sounds like an expensive treat, but it is theraputic and done in a doctor's office so my insurance covers this cost for me. I am careful not to take advantage of this and only go when I need it once every few months. I know that the rest of the day and especially tomorrow I will feel pretty sore as my muscles recover. However I will be much better able to sleep and have more energy. Right now with my muscles so tight I feel sluggish and lazy.

No comments:

Post a Comment